Some days, you NEED dessert in your life. You know that feeling – you’re craving something sweet, but know that a nutritious piece of fruit just isn’t going to cut it. But you don’t want to blow your healthy eating streak by giving in, so you try to resist… Until you’re willpower can’t take it any longer, and you devour an entire packet of marshmallows in 3 minutes. Oh, just us?
Well anyway, for those days when you fancy a sweet treat that’s healthy too, we have the answer… Enter, the healthy strawberry cheesecake smoothie…
This tasty treat has all of the flavour of an indulgent dessert, and is thick enough to be devoured with a spoon (a hall mark of any self-respecting dessert in our book).
Fresh strawberries are naturally sweet, especially when they’re in season between June and July. They’re also packed with nutrients, and contain even more vitamin C than an orange! Just one serving (8 strawberries) contains 98% of your daily requirement.
Fresh strawberries can be a bit delicate, so here are a few prep and storage tips…
- Buying – Choose strawberries that are bright red, small to medium size and have a sweet aroma. Unlike bananas, they won’t ripen at home, so don’t go for pale or green ones.
- Prep – Wash well and remove the hull (green leafy top).
- Storage – Strawberries are best consumed within 2 days, as studies have found their nutrient content starts to decrease after this time. They will last a little longer in the fridge though.
- Freezing – You can freeze strawberries for up to six months.
Healthy Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie Ingredients
So let’s get down to business… This smoothie only contains 3 ingredients, which makes it super-simple and quick to make…
Strawberries + Vegan Yogurt + Biscuit(s)
Don’t be fooled by its minimalist ingredient list though… this strawberry cheesecake smoothie is creamy, indulgent and satisfying. Maybe the biscuit isn’t strictly healthy, but this smoothie is a lot more nutritious than an actual slice of cheesecake (with less guilt too).
- 8-10 strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 individual vanilla or strawberry vegan yogurt (120g or ½ cup)
- 1-2 digestive biscuits
The simple method is to blend all the ingredients together into a thick smoothie, and enjoy with a spoon. But if you’re feeling really fancy, then blend the digestives with a teaspoon of vegan yogurt and layer along the bottom of a mason jar. Then blend the remaining yogurt with the strawberries and layer on top of the digestive base. Top with a few sliced strawberries and enjoy!