This easy berry orange smoothie is one of the simplest recipes we have ever come up with. Like all great inventions it was created out of necessity. My partner wasn’t feeling well but we didn’t have any fresh fruit in the house, so I had to improvise with what was in the fridge and freezer. Fortunately the result was super-tasty so we’re sharing it here for you too…
In this article – we outline a 2-ingredient berry orange juice smoothie recipe that’s packed with vitamins and really easy to prepare.
Plus it’s dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan so everyone can enjoy it!
Berry Orange Smoothie Benefits
This simple recipe combines the zing of oranges with the sweetness of mixed berries. The best part? You only need two everyday ingredients to create this fruity masterpiece. Let’s dive right into this effortless and delicious recipe!
Mixed Frozen Berries
The beauty of making a smoothie with mixed berries is that you get a range of nutrients from just one basic ingredient item. The bag we got from Tesco contained frozen strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, redcurrants, and blackcurrants. These little powerhouses are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins, so they’ll super-charge your recipe.
Plus, they add a burst of vibrant colour to your smoothie cup. We enjoyed our smoothies in a glass jar and they almost looked like berry jam!
Adding orange juice to a mixed berry smoothie is a quick and easy way to add vitamins and flavour in one go. OJ is packed with vitamin C which is known to support the immune system. So adding it to your smoothies not enhances the fruity flavour but also boosts the nutritional content too.
Recipe & Instructions
Here’s how to make this quick and easy recipe at home…
- 1 cup of frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup of orange juice
- Gather Your Ingredients: Start by grabbing your bag of mixed frozen berries from the freezer and orange juice from the fridge.
- Combine the Goodness: In your blender, toss in the frozen berries and pour in the orange juice.
- Blend Until Smooth: Pop on the blender lid and blend until you achieve a smooth, velvety texture. If your smoothie is too thick, add a splash more orange juice and blend again until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Serve and Enjoy: Pour your vibrant berrylicious orange smoothie into a glass. If you’re feeling fancy, garnish with a slice of orange on the rim and reusable straw!
You might notice that this smoothie recipe uses 1 cup of liquid instead of our usual 1/2 cup ratio. This is because the frozen berries create a super-thick consistency (almost like sorbet) so you need extra liquid to make it smooth and slurpable.
Alternative Ingredient Ideas
This was the first time we’d made a berry smoothie recipe with orange juice but it turned out great. However, you could try adding different ingredients depending on what you have to hand in your kitchen…
- Fresh Berries – If you have fresh berries on hand, feel free to use them instead of frozen ones. Just add a handful of ice cubes to the blender for that refreshing chill.
- Banana or Mango – For a creamier texture and a tropical twist, add a ripe banana or some chunks of mango.
- Oat or Almond Milk – To make your smoothie extra creamy, substitute orange juice with oat or almond milk (but not dairy as the proteins in that will counteract the benefits of the antioxidants in the berries).
- Protein Powder – Blend in a scoop of your favourite protein powder for a filling and nutritious drink.
And that’s all there is to it. With just two everyday ingredients you can whip up an incredibly easy Berrylicious Orange Smoothie that delights the taste buds and nourishes the body. It’s a refreshing masterpiece that’s perfect for breakfast, a snack, or even a dessert. So, grab your blender, raid the fridge and freezer, and blend up a glass of fruity bliss.
Related Smoothie Recipes
Here are some other healthy smoothie recipes with berries and oranges that you might like…
- Healthy Blueberry Protein Smoothie
- 7 healthy orange smoothie recipes
- Mango blueberry spinach 3-ingredient green smoothie
- Apple & raspberry smoothie (no banana!)
- Peach Melba raspberry 3-ingredient smoothie
- Lemon & raspberry smoothie
- Blueberry raspberry smoothie bowl
Here are some of the most common questions we see about this smoothie recipe…
Absolutely! It’s a nutritious and refreshing way to start your day. Consider adding a handful of oats for extra fibre and sustained energy.
While it’s best enjoyed fresh, you can prepare the ingredients in your blender jar and refrigerate overnight. Just blend it up when you’re ready to enjoy!
Absolutely! Pour the smoothie mixture into popsicle molds, insert sticks, and freeze. You’ll have delightful homemade fruity popsicles in a few hours!
Nutrition Info You Can Trust
Our in-house associate nutritionist holds a Master’s degree in Human Nutrition, a bachelor’s degree in Sports Science and English, and a Diploma in Personal Training. She has over 15 years of experience in the health and fitness industry, working with leading health clubs, equipment companies, and one-to-one clients.