Looking for a tasty yogurt substitute to use in your smoothies? Yogurt is a common ingredient in smoothie recipes but it’s not for everyone. So whether you dislike the taste, are lactose-intolerant, or have simply run out of it, we’ve got some delicious alternatives for you.
In this article – we share the 7 best yogurt substitutes for smoothies, including dairy-free, paleo, and low-calorie options.
While yogurt is a popular smoothie ingredient, there are plenty of reasons why you might want to explore swapping it for something else…
- Taste – If you’re not a fan of the taste or texture of yogurt, experimenting with different replacements can make it more palatable.
- Lactose Intolerance – Yogurt is made with dairy products that contain lactose, so it can be necessary to substitute it with non-dairy alternatives.
- Minimising Processed Food – Some yogurts are highly processed with added flavourings and preservatives, so people wanting to reduce their intake might prefer natural ingredients.
- Weight Loss – Certain yogurt substitutes can be lower in calories, fat, and sugar, making them ideal for those watching their intake.
- Veganism – Many people choose not to consume animal products including dairy which makes yogurt off-limits.
Whatever your reasons for wanting to find a yogurt substitute for your smoothies, there are plenty of delicious options to choose from.
You might also like… Delicious Dairy-Free Protein Powders For Smoothies & Shakes.
Top Yogurt Substitutes for Smoothies
We don’t do dairy at The Blendery. It just doesn’t sit well with us, so we’re always on the look out for tasty alternatives. Over the years we’ve tried lots of different options and picked up tips from other smoothie connoisseurs along the way. After plenty of trial and error, we’ve worked out which ones work the best (and which ones to avoid). Here are the very best alternatives to yogurt that work well in smoothies…
- Frozen Banana – When blended, frozen banana creates a creamy and naturally sweet base for smoothies.
- Mango – Mango adds a luscious thick texture and a tropical twist to your smoothie, with a sweet edge too.
- Avocado – This blew our mind the first time we tried it in a smoothie – it was SO good! Avocado is a creamy powerhouse, loaded with healthy fats and provides a smooth, velvety consistency.
- Dairy-Free Yogurt – Available in various plant-based options, dairy-free yogurts offer a similar texture and tanginess to traditional yogurt without any lactose and are suitable for vegans too.
- Silken Tofu – Silken tofu is a protein-rich, neutral-flavored ingredient that adds creaminess to smoothies without altering the taste.
- Nut Butter – Nut butters like almond butter or cashew butter can add a rich and creamy texture to your smoothie, along with a nutty flavor and additional healthy fats.
- Cottage Cheese – This isn’t one we’ve personally tried but lots of others swear by it. Cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein and gives your smoothie a creamy texture. Opt for low-fat varieties if you’re watching your calorie intake.
Which Yogurt Substitute Is Best?
Choosing the best alternative to yogurt for your smoothie will depend on your nutritional goals. Here’s an overview of the top substitutes for different dietary requirements…
- Best for Taste – Avocado. Its creamy texture and mild flavour make it a versatile ingredient that pairs well with lots of different smoothie ingredients. Not convinced? Our Pear, Pineapple & Avocado Smoothie is guaranteed to change your mind.
- Creaminess – Frozen Banana. It lends a thick and smooth texture to your smoothie, mimicking the creamy consistency of yogurt.
- Low Calorie – Silken Tofu. It provides creaminess without adding excessive calories, making it perfect for those seeking a lighter option.
- High Calorie – Nut butter. If you’re looking to boost your calorie intake or add richness to your smoothie, peanut or almond butter is the way to go.
- Protein – Cottage Cheese. Packed with protein, cottage cheese adds a creamy texture while giving your smoothie a protein boost.
- Cheapest – Frozen Banana. Bananas are readily available and budget-friendly, making them an affordable substitute for yogurt.
- Low Carb – Avocado. With minimal carbohydrates and high healthy fats, avocado is an excellent choice for a low-carb smoothie.
- Low Sugar – Silken Tofu. It contains very little sugar and can be a great option for those watching their sugar intake.
- Lactose-Free – Dairy-Free Yogurt. Opt for dairy-free yogurts made from coconut, almond, or soya milk to enjoy a lactose-free smoothie.
- Gluten-Free – All the substitutes we’ve mentioned are gluten-free. But be sure to double-check the ingredient label of your chosen brand to ensure it’s certified gluten-free too.
- Paleo – Avocado. This option aligns with the paleo diet guidelines, while providing a creamy and nutritious base for your smoothie.
- Keto – Avocado. This option is low in carbohydrates and high in healthy fats, making it ideal for a keto-friendly smoothie.
So, there you have a comprehensive list of yogurt substitutes for your smoothies, along with our top picks for different nutritional needs. Whether you’re exploring new flavours, accommodating dietary preferences, or aiming for specific health goals, you’ve got plenty of options to choose from. These alternatives will provide you with creamy, nutritious, and utterly delicious smoothies.
Avocado and frozen banana are the best alternatives to yogurt in a smoothie as they provide the same creamy flavour and thick texture (but without the dairy).
Absolutely! Feel free to experiment and combine various substitutes to create your own unique and delicious smoothie recipes.